Saturday, September 27, 2008

Cinnamon-Sugar Lavash Crackers

The September Daring Bakers challenge was a first for me as a newly appointed member of the monthly baking group...and what a first challenge it was. Straying away from the typical sweet tooth of challenges past, this month we were given the quest to make lavash crackers from our hosts Natalie of Gluten a Go Go and Shel from Musings from the Fishbowl (you can find their base lavish challenge recipe here). Now before you think that I have strayed from my sugar roots, I will have you know that I took their challenge and made it sweet! That's right, sweet, as in cinnamon-sugar crackers. And while they did taste yummy, I have to admit that I do not have a talent bone in my body for anything that has to do with yeast or bread dough. These were hard, seriously, and with the yeast I felt like I had no control. But, since the was my first challenge I decided not to get upset at not reaching perfection and to just enjoy the learning of kneading, rising and rolling!
But that's not all folks, they also gave us a second challenge this month which was a recipe all to our own...to create a dip that would compliment our delicious crackers. Sounds easy right? Wrong. This dip not only had to be tasty, but it also had to be vegan and gluten-free! Okay, okay, how hard can that be you ask? Well, when dipping in the sweet world, not much is made without butter and dairy. So, my first instinct was to go right for the honey jar. Sure, I couldn't make honey butter, but I knew I could make something lip smacking good, and I would have, only I just found out honey isn't vegan...ugh! 
After a few cups of coffee and a good long brainstorm, I had it. I would make raisin chutney. No animals, no wheat, just sweet raisins were involved here. So without further adieu, here is my raisin chutney recipe that was the perfect partner to my cinnamon sweet crackers.

Ingredients 
1 cup of raisins (soaked in hot water for 15 minutes before use)
2 tablespoons of hot water
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of sugar (or more to taste)
1/2 of a fresh lemon juiced (apx. 2 tablespoons)

Recipe
1. After raisins have been soaked in hot water for 15 minutes, drain
2. In a blender, combine all ingredients adding lemon juice last
3. Pulse until the ingredients have come together and the mixture has formed a course consistency
4. Dip away!

8 comments:

Laurie said...

Looks really good! We were on the same wavelength :)

Helene said...

The cinnamon sugar sure was a great idea! Well done!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Great job on your first challenge! I bet these tasted terrific. Welcome to the Daring Bakers!

Eat4Fun said...

Congratulations on completing your first DB Challenge! The cinnamon lavash and dip look very good.

Lauren said...

Ooo, your lavash looks amazing, Congrats on your first challenge!

Thistlemoon said...

Those look great! Welcome to the DBs!!!!

silverrock said...

AAA! This is a great idea! Why didn't I think about making a sweet lavash cracker? I am addicted to sugar BTW... I will definitely have to try your recipe the next time I make these. Congrats on your first DB challenge... the crackers look divine!

TeaLady said...

I love the idea of sweet lavash. These look great. Yummy!!! And welcome to DB.